BE what you BElieve!

BE what you BElieve!

Thursday, December 12, 2013

exercise aka put down the remote and MOVE!

todays post is NOT gonna be fun at least not at first. yep you got it exercise aka put down the remote and move. and I'm not gonna lie I need to work on this one myself. I haven't been to the gym in over a month and yes I had a health issue but that is merely an excuse. and I should also say "reasons" are also excuses cause unless you're in a full body cast and traction you can do SOMETHING. so my opinion of reasons (yours and mine) are that they're merely excuses wrapped and tied up with a bow, they may "look" better than excuses and make you feel better about lying to yourself but it's all a load of hooey!
if you're fat (I'm NOT pc you shall not see terms like weight challenged or the like here) then you are probably a complete stranger to exercise and to be honest when I was 300 pounds I was embarresed to go to the gym that part hurt worse than the huffing and puffing for a minute on the treadmill thinking I was gonna dye. and I KNEW in my head I was bein judged but guess what I was the one doin the most evil mind games to myself. my doubt defeated me so many times but I just kept goin back and eventually I stopped caring. those little successes built my self confidence bit by bit until I became comfortable in the gym (and my own skin)
I will say some of those gym "bunnies" are as silly as a drunken rabbit. I mean come on I used to watch them come in their tiny leotards with dental floss up their butt and full war paint and they'd take the elevator to the second floor to get on the stairmaster! LMAO seriously?  and if they can be that person you can be the person changing their life and empowering yourself. don't worry about what others may think or even God forbid say (cause there is cattiness in humans) just strive on being better today thn you were yesterday. ideally you should do some form of workout 6 times a week but alas the real world sometimes gets in the way which is ok (unless you're sitiin on your butt watching it on mtv instead of working out lol) I strive for 5 times a week and usually get there at least 3 times. the trick is to find a time that works for you and a gym that meets your needs. I cant afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a gym but I found a large gym with 24 hour access that has tons of machines and it's only $19.99 a month (12.99 if you only want open-hour access) I gave up some of the frills to use this gym (no hot tub :(  ) but it meets my actual needs. I KNOW me I'm not getting up early and working out as I have a physically demanding job (standing 8 plus hours, cleaning, stocking waiting on customers etc) and it would make me tired before work. plus I don't like showering at the gym as I'm VERY picky about my toiletries and dragging a ton of crap to the gym seems pointless. so I take my gym bag to work with me and I change at work and go straight to the gym that way I don't need to take a bag in with me get a locker etc etc I walk right in and get on the treadmill and start moving.
also bein older I generally HATE the music they play and watching tv does not make me wanna move so I bring my mp3 player and wear headphones while I work out. my "jams" make me wanna move as it's dance music from the 70s-90s and you better believe I shake it while I work it too! lolol
and that's back to that so what if I look dumb to others I'm turning what I used to hate (working out) into a fun activity that is also good for me. part of that philosophy is one I adopted from the late great Coco Chanel..................
now that's some good old fashioned advice we all need to listen to!
now I understand that not everyone has access to a gym or the funds to afford one but that's ok theres still plenty of ways you can work out. almost everyone has a dvd player and there are tons of exercise tapes available on everything from yoga to pilates and zumba. and they cost money too but guess what the library has them for FREE. so dust off that library card and use it that way you can try a variety and find what you enjoy. there are also TONS of health and fitness videos on youtube and 90% of us have computers in the home these days. you can also get exercise books though personally I enjoy reading them but trying to do a workout based on one flummoxes me as I just cant seem to remember long enough from page to practice so it takes me forever and I never get to build up a sweat. for y'all though it might work. never be afraid to try something different or adapt a move to suit your physical limitations (bearing safety in mind of course) I have a bum knee that surgery left wonky. if I'm not careful it'll pop right out of joint which is NOT fun and dangerous. so I cant do the olliptical machines as it's bening that tweaks it but the treadmill I can go for days! same for yoga I LOVE yoga but I cant sit lotus or bend in many of the ways the instructors do so I merely do my own thing. also a trick I've found if I find a move I cant do is to run in place whilst that move is happening that way my heart-rate stays elevated. lets see I think i'll share some of my fave vids to give y'all an idea....................................................
 
 I ADORE the Goddess Workout with Dolphina. it's great for all levels of fitness and bellydancng is FUN! oh and big girls and guys can sooooo dothis. it's empowering!
Hemalayaa Bollywood dance workout is a HOOT! she's so funny and if y'all are familiar Bollywood is a fun fun fun mix of music and moves.
the biggest loser of course has bunches of vids
I also love yoga personally I do Aaron Star's Hot Nude Yoga but sorry not posting that link don't wanna get "tagged"  again on my 3rd day! lololol
then there is the one who put tapes on the market y'all know I'm talkin about Richard Simmons , his sweatin to the oldies dvds are now available plus he did a new 5th one. you can get em from his website, walmart, fye. I was soooooooooooo very thrilled when these finally cme out my vhs copy had so many lines goin through it no amount of adjusting the tracking helped. lolol
and I'm gonna be brutally honest here when I was at my heaviest I got these I was over 300 pounds and I couldn't do anything physical but what got me through these was anger. I would get so mad when I was doin this because HUGE people that weighed more than me were doin it so I was like  "GRRRRRRRRRRRR if that________________________________________________ (profanity laden angry screams) can do by gum I can!"   it worked and that is all that matters!
whatever you do just do it, take a dance class you've always dreamed of, do zumba, go hiking, swim , do a 5k for charity (the charity part will shame  errrrrr motivate you into actually doin it! lol it did for me!)
I'd like for y'all to tell me your favorite ways to move mayhaps i'll add them to my list too............my next goal is to get under 200 so I can do zip lines! (250 is the limit but I'd like a bity more leeway before risking life and limb)

1 comment:

  1. I so enjoy the belly dance dvd you gave me. It makes me smile and think of you every time I use it. (which is not enough, I admit!)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

I welcome y'alls input and ideas just make sure you keep it polite and remember if you cant say nothing nice it's a good time to hush it up!